Built in 1511, Kota A’Famosa is one of Malaysia’s oldest surviving historical landmarks. The fortress was built by Alfonso de Albuquerque, who led the Portuguese invasion on the Straits of Malacca. Its name means “famous” in Portugese and was originally constructed as a defensive base to suppress attacks against foreigners. The fortress changed hands many times, such as in 1641 when the Dutch drove the Portugese out of Malacca. It changed hands again in the early 1900s, when the British took over from the Dutch.
The fortress used to consist of long ramparts and four major towers, but currently, only a lone gate remains. It is now preserved as a popular tourist location.